• Matteo Correggia is responsible for single handedly raising the level of the Roero appellation.
• The Roero appellation lies on the other side of the river from Barolo and Barbaresco and was always considered the poor cousin.
• However the soil make up, which is mostly sand and the extremely steep slopes make for a completely different and fabulous expression of the Nebbiolo grape that goes to make Roero Rosso.
• Because of the singular effort of this one man in 2005, twenty years since he started his seminal work in Roero, the appellation was raised to DOCG status.
• Whilst trying to maneuver his tractor on the steep slopes of Roero, Matteo met with an accident in 1991 and he did not live to see through the realization of DOCG status for his Roero. His wife Sarah left behind with 2 little kids carried on his dream to fruition.
• The colour of the Nebbiolo on Roero sandy soils give it a lighter colour but produces wines of pronounced aromatics, subtlety and elegance.